Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gp2xUAE vs. PSPUAE  (Read 6519 times)

MrModem

• PSPUAE Tweaker
  • PSPUAE DEV
  • A600
Gp2xUAE vs. PSPUAE
« on: August 28, 2006, 01:55:33 PM »

Hi everyone! First of all I like to thank the developers for all the hard work they have put into PSPUAE. I have a few questions:

Why is UAE for Gp2x so much faster than PSPUAE (I don't have a Gp2x myself but according to this page: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all many games seem to run great with sound)? I know the gp2x version is based on chui's UAE4ALL wich is more optimized for speed than E-UAE, but I don't think the difference would be so huge. What other optimizations have been made to the gp2x version? Could they be implemented in PSPUAE?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 02:00:27 PM by MrModem »
Another day, another cry, but remember: Shoot or Die!!

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Re: Gp2xUAE vs. PSPUAE
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 02:45:40 PM »

hey mr modem.

perhaps because the gp2x is designed for homebrew?

Ric ported UAE4All over to the PSP, and reported no particular improvements over the e-uae port (pspuae) when running it, so the option has already been considered.

the main problem with pspuae is apparently a not-too-hot 68000 emu core, although an alternative core is being looked into.

anyway, i've seen a video of gp2x running Turrican, and speed-wise it looked exactly the same i my game of Turrican on pspuae last night!
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 04:15:34 PM »

hey mr modem.

perhaps because the gp2x is designed for homebrew?

Ric ported UAE4All over to the PSP, and reported no particular improvements over the e-uae port (pspuae) when running it, so the option has already been considered.

the main problem with pspuae is apparently a not-too-hot 68000 emu core, although an alternative core is being looked into.

anyway, i've seen a video of gp2x running Turrican, and speed-wise it looked exactly the same i my game of Turrican on pspuae last night!

I sorry, but i feel that Turrican vid is a fake, as the sound added was turrican music, not the game. Hell, if I disabled sound I can get 100% speed on PSPUAE, I can about 95% speed with sound using the cpu speed option.

But horace is right, GPX2 is designed for hoembrew, you have to remember, the PSP homebrew is done via exploits, which i think hamper the full potential of the PSP and besides GPX2 has 64 Megs ram i beleive, im sure that would help make a difference.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 04:17:58 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

MrModem

• PSPUAE Tweaker
  • PSPUAE DEV
  • A600
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 05:04:49 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Do you mean this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6N13neyEU? I don't see why you think it's fake. The sound seams to be synced with the graphics.

I know the PSP wasn't designed to run homebrew but I don't see why that stops us from using PSPs capatibilities to the max.

I hope you don't feel like I'm complaining. I really appreciate what you have done, I just wanted to start a discussion on how to improve this emu.

EDIT: I read about this compatibility chart in the forum but I can't find it. Am I just stupid?
EDIT2: Nevermind, I found it. Guess I was stupid after all.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 05:07:58 PM by MrModem »
Another day, another cry, but remember: Shoot or Die!!

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 05:09:50 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! Do you mean this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_6N13neyEU? I don't see why you think it's fake. The sound seams to be synced with the graphics.

I know the PSP wasn't designed to run homebrew but I don't see why that stops us from using PSPs capatibilities to the max.

I hope you don't feel like I'm complaining. I really appreciate what you have done, I just wanted to start a discussion on how to improve this emu.

EDIT: I read about this compatibility chart in the forum but I can't find it. Am I just stupid?
EDIT2: Nevermind, I found it. Guess I was stupid after all.

Sound synced with graphics, huh, its just music added to video. You cant even hear the lasers and stuff. *EDIT:- Take it back, diff vid, seen so many now. be nice to know the options, not user but hidden options. I can get turrican running really fast but the sound seems to go faster when framerate hits 60 FPS, need to try an get it to stay at 50 FPS then it would be perfect.

The compatability chart was disabled cause people were just entering a game name and clicking submit, which doesnt help anyone, anyway its enabled now, as im working on forcing people to enter all details.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 05:17:38 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 05:38:28 PM »

Mr. Modem.... i'm sure if a new amiga emu for psp was built from scratch, full-speed could be done. As it is, it's largely generic C-code compiled for the PSP... far from the most effcient way of creating programs for the machine.

the power is there.... it's just a matter of tapping it.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 06:22:18 PM »

Hi everyone! First of all I like to thank the developers for all the hard work they have put into PSPUAE. I have a few questions:

Why is UAE for Gp2x so much faster than PSPUAE (I don't have a Gp2x myself but according to this page: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/UAE4all many games seem to run great with sound)? I know the gp2x version is based on chui's UAE4ALL wich is more optimized for speed than E-UAE, but I don't think the difference would be so huge. What other optimizations have been made to the gp2x version? Could they be implemented in PSPUAE?

A port of UAE4ALL was done to PSP, and no improvements over PSPUAE were found.
Thread Locked.
Resolute and Industrious
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022