Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: PSPUAE 0.61 Released  (Read 19549 times)

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
PSPUAE 0.61 Released
« on: November 02, 2006, 11:47:31 PM »

We have released another version of PSPUAE, see below for changes.
This update was done by thinkp, who has now joined us here at pspuae.com.
Please can you all help in welcoming him to the site and the team.

V0.61 - thinkp update
 - optionfiles with names (name_of_the_disk.options)
 - savestates with names (name_of_the_disk.asf)
 - auto-save options when saving state (in folder STATE )
 - auto-load options when loading state (from folder STATE )
 - auto-load options when inserting disk
 - assign keys in controls menu with amiga keyboard
   (press square to open/close keyboard and cross to select, triangle to delete button)
 - assign keyboard keys to the 4 d-pad directions in combination with the l+r shoulder buttons
   (set 'Directional Buttons' in controls menu to 'Keys')
 - mouse speed option in hardware menu (from 5 [fast] to 1 [slow])
 - hi-res mouse speed option in hardware menu (from 5 [fast] to 1 [slow])
 - dual joystick control - same joystick on d-pad AND the analogue stick
 - Added folders for all files, now only the main EBOOT is in main folder (FOL)

You can get it from our DOWNLOADS section
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 08:12:22 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
Re: PSPUAE 0.61
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 03:31:07 AM »

;-)  yey!  another update!

... Any chance of supporting zip files in the next release? :p

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
Re: PSPUAE 0.61
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:41:14 AM »

;-)  yey!  another update!

... Any chance of supporting zip files in the next release? :p

Thanks, and to answer your second question, have you read the readme, ;). It supports .zip files fine, in the following format.

Part Of The Readme for example purposes:-

Games
--------
Games for the Amiga Emulator, come in a few formats,
the most popular being .ADF (Amiga Disk Format). These .ADF files must
be placed in the following folder:-

1.00, 2.71 HEN C & DA 2.71 SE
----------------------------- 
MS0:(MemoryStick ROOT DIR)
|
|-PSP\
  | 
  |-GAME\
    |
    |-PSPUAE\   or   |-__SCE__PSPUAE (For V1.50)
      |
      |-DISKS\

PSPUAE also accepts .zip files, so if you insert (Example: Turrican.zip) then it will
work as if it were Turrican.adf.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:49:28 AM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Re: PSPUAE 0.61 Released
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 10:35:53 AM »

zipped savestates would be nice... hehe.

btw, it doesnt recoginse savestates saved with .ASF as the extension. only .asf

plus, i really dont get the critereia behind what makes a "named state" ... does it have to be a certain  number of characters long or something?
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 02:29:51 PM »

zipped savestates would be nice... hehe.

btw, it doesnt recoginse savestates saved with .ASF as the extension. only .asf

plus, i really dont get the critereia behind what makes a "named state" ... does it have to be a certain  number of characters long or something?

lol, what you like, why would you rename it .ASF, if its saved as .asf, then I leave it, ;).

As for the critereia, seems to be anything you want, I havent come across any probs in the tests I have done so far. Will test more tonight, once I upload the source, as thinkp wanted to add some more keyboard to Direction pad keys, so you can use Left Shoulder + Right Shoulder + X = Enter or Left Shoulder + Right Shoulder + O = T etc. etc.
Resolute and Industrious

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 03:30:11 PM »

Hi! Just to give you sincere congratulations on the job done to this great emulator! Keep up the good work!

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »

Hi! Just to give you sincere congratulations on the job done to this great emulator! Keep up the good work!

Thankyou for the support, im sure it means alot to us involved in PSPUAE.

[RANT] (another rant, dont even need to name site)
Horace, checkout pspupdates (definately the last time I go there), lost my temper big time, I always talk rather than lose my temper, but these "Go ask ZX-81 for lessons on how to get it running at 100% speed", made me loose it.

So for the people who insist on this comment, goto DCEMU, and you will see your answer.
[/RANT]
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 12:07:46 AM »

it'd the same guy as before. he obviously completely ignored my last post on the 0.60 thread. i'd copy and paste it but i really dont think its worth the effort.

sod em i say.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 12:11:22 AM »

it'd the same guy as before. he obviously completely ignored my last post on the 0.60 thread. i'd copy and paste it but i really dont think its worth the effort.

sod em i say.

Aye, ;)
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 12:32:29 PM »

lol, what you like, why would you rename it .ASF, if its saved as .asf, then I leave it, ;).

btw, i didnt rename it. for some reason, some of my savestates (from god-knows which beta) saved them with .ASF and i didnt change them back to .asf. when i did, they worked.

also, renaming 5-10.asf as b1.asf or b2.asf doesnt make them appear, and since 5-10.asf dont show, i think there must be some limitations on what is deemed a ''named state". i need to review this however.

thinkp

• PSPUAE DEV
  • A600
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 11:05:20 PM »

This will be fixed in the next release, the current function was quick and dirty.

Raventyr

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 05:13:22 PM »

Much awesomeness my friends !  Keep up the good work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ MMMM Brainsss ~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Barts_706

• A600
    • Barts' News - digital entertainment
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 11:15:05 AM »

I am that guy from PSPupdates writing about speed and Zx-81. I know I will probably get called at least a couple of names for appearing here, but apparently it looks that you guys got annoyed at my comments, so I sort of come to apologise.

First of all, had I noticed you replied, I would not have written the same comment twice (or more, because I keep posting it since some 0.5x version). I checked a few days after each post made its appearance, didn't see the answer from you guys, then I thought I'd repeat. You got the message, disregard another instances of it.

Secondly, I didn't know that you actually asked Zx-81 for help and that he rejected your offer to join the team. In fact I used him more as an example of continuous improvement of the emulator, both in terms of functionality and speed, rather then actually suggesting that you started cooperation with him. It surprised me a lot that you did and I appreciate the effort. Plus I didn't get your replies, so I repeated it later on (see above).

Thirdly, I will rephrase what I wanted to say in perhaps more acceptable manner.

I do appreciate all of your hard work. I know it is damn hard to do refactoring of the code, to optimise the code, to make things work better. I know that emulation is not an easy task to undertake, especially if you write on for a platform that has a certain number of limitations (PSP). I know that it is not your job but something that you do in your free time (hence, you waste some part of your life on it, not getting paid), that you put a lot of effort into it and that the least people could do is to give you a little encouragement. I know how annoying it is, when you try hard to do something and all you get is critique, especially from people that do nothing.

So, the emulation of Amiga was one of the arguments for me to buy a PSP. I am happy that someone continued the development of PSPUAE after 0.43. I definitely notice that there is progress, both in terms of speed and compatibility. I do not actually play the games yet in my free time (speed...), but at least I could do a few nostalgic trips to the times of my youth and watch a few worlds I have once visited. Credit for that goes to you.

Having said that, there are still a couple of things that need to be done with PSPUAE and the biggest issue is speed. Yes, I know that with frameskip some titles are more or less playable. I personally hate frameskipping, mainly because I remember how fluid and quick this games were back on original Amiga. What I wanted to achieve with my posts on PSPUpdates was to make you concentrate you more on accelerating emulation speed and less on menu tweaks and such. Not to say that they are useless, but to suggest assigning more priority to speeding things up. I was under impression that you mainly add things like nicer menu and don't do much about you-know-what. While there is nothing wrong with that, I wanted to play my favourite oldtimers on the go at full throttle, so I posted, hoping you would notice.

Well, obviously you did. And you felt offended by it.

So I would like to officially and loudly say that I am sorry (and by the way, if you want an official apology on PSPUpdates, I can do that too). I did not intend to annoy you, smirk at you, or make wise-ass remarks. I generally like the result your job. I follow its development, wait for next releases, test them, I show it to others, heck, I even described it on my freshly opened blog (you can see it at http://bartsnews.blogspot.com/2006/10/amiga-emulation-on-psp.html ) and said it was nice (the very first thing I wrote about there was your emulator). I definitely did not want to make you angry or feel like the only thing people care about PSPUAE are its downsides.

Once again, I apologise for that. Please continue to work on PSPUAE and I will just shut up.

Last point, I think that pointing out (very minor) problems with other emulators was neither very nice nor very true (both SNES and Amstrad emulators on the PSP actually run very well and smooth), but I do understand that you were angry, and since you were actually furious because of me, then I guess I'll take the blame for it.

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 11:43:42 AM »

your apology is apprciated Barts706, but you should understand what you said and how you said it came across as incredibly arrogant and selfish. We take time out to read comments on every release thread we see, and your insitance over the speed issue was quite frankly, tactless. Is it any wonder that FOL got annoyed?

of course we all want a faster emulator, but people shouting "take coding lessons" achieves nothing. And i disagree heartily about both the Amstrad and SNES emulators.

The SNES emulator often needs as much frameskip as the amiga one, albeit perhaps auto-skip algorhythm is better coded, and less noticable, but you try playing Turrican on it.... it's not that impressive. With regards to my comments about ZX-81's emualtors on the QJ v0.60 thread (i'm not sure if you read those) - i stand by my statement. The Amstrad emulator is VERY poor. i have used it a lot. It does what its says "emulates the amstrad" but that is it, and it's not done that well. I have also used ZX-81's Sam Coupe emulator considerably, (and both GBA and ZX81 breifly) and found them all to be buggy and under-developed.

I will not deny ZX-81 his skill in making portable code run on the PSP. he does that well. However, all of his emualtors i find lacking, and i beleive this largely to be because he has too many projects running. The CPC emulator -IS- slow, there's no denying it, and does not demonstrate to myself (or obviously to others too) that ZX-81's coding strengths lie in getting good speed from an emulator.

What we have here at pspuae.com is a team of several coders, all with various degrees of experience and expertise, and all of whom have worked very hard to help achieve what is wanted. A really good Amiga PSP emulator... and all off of their own backs.  You must remember that this is a project that was abandoned by it original author a long time ago, and you should frankly be grateful of any development, since it's only through myself coming into contact with Ric and FOL, that we have this community, and continued releases. As FOL mentioned, we asked ZX-81 to join the team anyhow, but he stated he would prefer to work on his own version.

You say yourself you do not use the emulator in its current state due to speed, but there are many games that run excellently already, and when compared with the 0.41 version, I really think you should reconsider your words before saying things which will likely offend the team we have here.

I hope my comments have not come across too strongly, as i do appriciate your apology. I just thought you should know honestly where I (and i suspect the rest of the pspuae team) stand on the matter.

edit: In your blog Bart you talk about the slow loading speed. have a search on this forum for keywords such as; savestate , whdload, ram installer. There are methods for reducing loading times considerably, and you can see on my YouTube video comparing ADF loading with our own techniques.

on the front page there is a pre-loaded savestate for wolfchild in fact.

2nd edit: i think i scared him off... :-[  if anyone thinks i'm out-of-line feel free to take it up with me!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 12:29:58 PM by Hungry Horace »

Barts_706

• A600
    • Barts' News - digital entertainment
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006, 12:51:40 PM »

No, you didn't scare me off, I am at work now and check periodically. Will continue to, as well.

So, as for the other emulators, I will not go there. Let us just assume we played different games on them. Still, they are just a side story here. It is not that important.

Concerning the main point, yes, I have re-read my posts on QJNet and realised they didn't come out to nice (to say the least). You are right about that, Horace. That is why I came here to say I am sorry, especially seeing that you and FOL (and probably others on the team) felt very upset about them (rightly so).

As for loading, well, I will experiment with it a bit more then (where can I find the video you refer to?). What I wrote there, however, was "Loading time was a bit of a drag, but obviously this version of PSPUAE has progressed in terms of compatibility and speed, as compared to half year back.". It was significantly longer before (0.4x? I don't remember what was the first PSPUAE version I tried).

From what I see, the apology was more or less accepted on the part of Horace and that's good. I'll wait to see what FOL has to say about it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022