Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: FAME C Core NEWS  (Read 23164 times)

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
FAME C Core NEWS
« on: November 07, 2006, 12:37:13 AM »

Hi, just to update you on the progress of the FAME C core intergration into PSPUAE.
Ric has been working hard, as he almost has a stable beta ready. Ric has said, that in his early stage tests, Ric has had 5 to 7 FPS more speed. His next step is make it stable enough for us to test it with some Pre-Selected games as Ric pointed out he hasnt really tried any games.

This is good news for PSPUAE, but remember, FAME C is still in the very early stages.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:38:53 AM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Firestar_Jes

• A600
Re: FAME C Core NEWS
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 07:51:19 AM »

This is very good news indeed  :)

Thanks for your hard work, it's nice to be able to play games from one's childhood on my psp

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 11:31:05 AM »

Yeah! Great news indeed!

That Fame C  is said to make wonders on the speed of the GP2X...

Here's hoping to improvements on the PSP as welll!

It's great to see people spending their time doing something for the good of others...

Your work is greatly appreciated and, as much as I like, Beta or even Alpha versions perhaps it would be better to wait for any release.

There's always the ones that nag on things that they don't have a clue on how much work they are and don't understand the notion of work in progress...

Thanks to all PSPUAE developers!

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 11:45:22 AM »

Yeah! Great news indeed!

That Fame C  is said to make wonders on the speed of the GP2X...

Here's hoping to improvements on the PSP as welll!

It's great to see people spending their time doing something for the good of others...

Your work is greatly appreciated and, as much as I like, Beta or even Alpha versions perhaps it would be better to wait for any release.

There's always the ones that nag on things that they don't have a clue on how much work they are and don't understand the notion of work in progress...

Thanks to all PSPUAE developers!

As I said in the other post, the to do list has been cleared almost and there is something for everyone in the new beta being tested (this hasnt got the FAME C Core added yet, as Ric is still working on it). thinkp has worked wonders. Myself and Horace had chance to talk to Ric and thinkp last night, and all angles are covered.

So PSPUAE is being great improved as we speak, I also have a few things to try out, and have also past some info on tests I have been doing with the current source to Ric (mainly speed wise, just need Ric to check and confirm my findings).

MrModem, should hopefully be able to help once he fixes his computer. As Mrmodem was going to help me, as we were already trying to add the improvements thinkp added in 1 release. So thinkp saved us alot of time, ;).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 11:47:40 AM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 03:53:25 PM »

Yeah! I saw the 0.62 version is looking good (saw some of the improvs on the shout box!)

There should be a lot of changes...

The savestates idea is great as well, as the loading time is one of the "offs" comparing to console rom emulation.

Once again, great work! (guess I'm repeating myself but all praise should be given)

Sorry about any spelling or grammatical errors, but English is not my First language (not even the second one)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:02:16 PM »

The savestates idea is great as well, as the loading time is one of the "offs" comparing to console rom emulation.

thanks. that was my original thinking after HD support seemed to become a non-option.

it'd be nice to get some response as to whether they are being used by anyone other than myself and FOL!
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:11:57 PM »

thanks. that was my original thinking after HD support seemed to become a non-option.

it'd be nice to get some response as to whether they are being used by anyone other than myself and FOL!

LOL! I know there's a lot of people appreciating the effort...

Just downloading the savestates on the games I have so that those ones are faster to load...

I was hoping for the 0.62 version to upgrade (it should be out soon, right?) but perhaps I give  a go on the 0.61 first...

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:42:35 PM »

LOL! I know there's a lot of people appreciating the effort...

Just downloading the savestates on the games I have so that those ones are faster to load...

I was hoping for the 0.62 version to upgrade (it should be out soon, right?) but perhaps I give  a go on the 0.61 first...

0.62 is being tested, so should be soon, but few things left to do first, need to make sure there are no bugs, and im currently updating the menu, as so the arrangement is more organised. i.e. everything CPU, CHIPSET, DISKDRIVES are grouped individually.
Resolute and Industrious

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:20:53 AM »

i also have my concerns re: 0.62 and a few of the savestates. i'm hoping it can be sorted out, though i really need to talk to Ric and thinkp about it in more detail to know where we stand.

ric

• PSPUAE DEV
  • PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 08:30:44 AM »

i also have my concerns re: 0.62 and a few of the savestates. i'm hoping it can be sorted out, though i really need to talk to Ric and thinkp about it in more detail to know where we stand.

Why dont we all get together: you, thinkp, FOL and myself for a chat. Perhaps tonight?

I merged the current 0.62 beta changes with the new FAME/C codebase yesterday so that I don't get too much out of sync. I still need to verify that it can compile using both the old UAE CPU core and FAME/C.

I suggest we release a 0.62 with just the changes of FOL and thinkp and then do the FAME/C release after much more intensive testing.

FAME/C is definitely faster but it causes problems with the frameskip logic. I need to re-desing that logic completely as otherwise the speed fluctuates to much and that is really annoying in games. Also certain games doesn't run with FAME/C yet (e.g Battle Squadron) and I am suspecting it is because I haven't implemented the trap logic correctly. I will probably release something for testing without that fixed as I need a general feedback on FAME/C experience with games. A good thing about FAME/C is that you can have a total of app 7 megs of ram.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 08:54:27 AM by FOL »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 08:54:45 AM »

Sounds good, Ill be in the chat room once I get home from work. I will also continue the menu changes, got the layout, but I want to makesure I got everything right. Gots bits of paper every where, with how the menu should look, just need to tidy it all before testing it.
Resolute and Industrious

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 11:24:11 AM »

Why dont we all get together: you, thinkp, FOL and myself for a chat. Perhaps tonight?

I merged the current 0.62 beta changes with the new FAME/C codebase yesterday so that I don't get too much out of sync. I still need to verify that it can compile using both the old UAE CPU core and FAME/C.

I suggest we release a 0.62 with just the changes of FOL and thinkp and then do the FAME/C release after much more intensive testing.

FAME/C is definitely faster but it causes problems with the frameskip logic. I need to re-desing that logic completely as otherwise the speed fluctuates to much and that is really annoying in games. Also certain games doesn't run with FAME/C yet (e.g Battle Squadron) and I am suspecting it is because I haven't implemented the trap logic correctly. I will probably release something for testing without that fixed as I need a general feedback on FAME/C experience with games. A good thing about FAME/C is that you can have a total of app 7 megs of ram.

I think it's a good idea to launch the 0.62 version and launch a beta version, for testing, with the fame C. (as launching the main program with it could bring stability and compatibility problems)

I have a pretty good collection of adf's so testing would not be a problem...  :)

On the savestates issue, that was one of my concerns. Adf's are pretty standart but if the savestates could give problems with every update on the program, that could be an issue (as they're not exactly small to download) or they could be realesed as a whole on a torrent or something. It is a little bit tedious to download each every time...

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »

@Ric this does indeed sound good.

i am unsure about this evening in chat though (typical, considering i've been free the last couple of nights!)

the main issues i wanted to discuss were memory; e.g. how has thinkp managed to lose a whole meg between 0.61 and  0.62 (i know more code = less memory, but 0.61 still supported 6 meg, i thought it was mostly bugfixes?) - you have just answered my question as to whether FAMEC was more efficient and gave use more memory allowance, although i am interested to know if this 7 megs is *with* the 0.62 merges? (i suspect not)

anyway, it's all sounding very good, and the hard work is really appriciated  everyone.

RJ: the savestates will work on any version afaik; as they are mostly just dumps of the amiga RAM. there's no way i'd recreate them for every release! i still belive  zipped savestate support would be a blessing for saving on space, particularly those ones with data duplicated within RAM. i will consider a bittorrent release, although users on this site really dont need it! (and shouldnt need to re-download for each update)

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 03:56:31 PM »

I have a pretty good collection of adf's so testing would not be a problem...  :)

sorry mate, but we have a selection of official beta-testers already, although if you're really keen, and any of our regualrs are a bit busy, then i'm sure an arrangement could be discussed.

see; this thread here for the list.

RJ2005

• A600
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 04:19:18 PM »

sorry mate, but we have a selection of official beta-testers already, although if you're really keen, and any of our regualrs are a bit busy, then i'm sure an arrangement could be discussed.

see; this thread here for the list.

I'm getting this error to see "the list"

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you. 

note: I'm logged in...

Anyway, it was just a suggestion... I'll keep coming here to see how things are going...
And if there's an opening...

As always, best of luck on your work!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022