Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto zoom and OCS  (Read 10837 times)

skateblind

• Important 'looking' person
  • Forum Mod
  • A2000
Auto zoom and OCS
« on: December 11, 2006, 04:11:04 AM »

Just found an error/bug/glitch that might be game specific. When loading the game Unreal from RAM: using OCS and auto zoom on settings, the first splash screen appears, dissappears, then locks up the psp. I think im the only one who has had this problem, so it might just be my setup or it might be the way Unreal is coded. So if anyone has similar problems, try turning off auto zoom. This has been mentioned before, but only concerning ECS. If you've had similar problems, could you post a reply to this thread, as I would like to know if it is just my setup, Unreal, or something to do with PSPUAE(unlikely). Cheers
What are you looking at?

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
Re: Auto zoom and OCS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »

Just found an error/bug/glitch that might be game specific. When loading the game Unreal from RAM: using OCS and auto zoom on settings, the first splash screen appears, dissappears, then locks up the psp. I think im the only one who has had this problem, so it might just be my setup or it might be the way Unreal is coded. So if anyone has similar problems, try turning off auto zoom. This has been mentioned before, but only concerning ECS. If you've had similar problems, could you post a reply to this thread, as I would like to know if it is just my setup, Unreal, or something to do with PSPUAE(unlikely). Cheers

Is Ureal OCS? Try ECS_AGNUS, as I have not any problems apart from ECS and ECS_DENISE when using Auto Zoom
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 09:22:50 PM »

Is Ureal OCS? Try ECS_AGNUS, as I have not any problems apart from ECS and ECS_DENISE when using Auto Zoom

Unreal is OCS, but being coded more like a scene demo (as it appears to be) it probably just does some wierd thing with shifting the screen height around. I think maybe if this hits zero PSPUAE crashes.  ???

it happens on Alien Breed 2 as well, when it closes the picture screen between levels.

Just means using manual zoom, it's hardly a big deal.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:34:29 PM »

Unreal is OCS, but being coded more like a scene demo (as it appears to be) it probably just does some wierd thing with shifting the screen height around. I think maybe if this hits zero PSPUAE crashes.  ???

it happens on Alien Breed 2 as well, when it closes the picture screen between levels.

Just means using manual zoom, it's hardly a big deal.

Agreed, it was made clear Auto Zoom wouldnt work with every game. Hell I was just happy to have full screen, but Auto Zoom is a great extra, ;)
Resolute and Industrious

ric

• PSPUAE DEV
  • PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 07:22:43 AM »

Thanks guys,

please just state the game and settings for each game that doesn't work with auto zoom then I am confident it can be fixed for some of the games. I do have one update to auto zoom that didn't go into 0.62 and if I get a couple of good test cases then we should be able to improve it.

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 02:50:15 PM »

....  damn, if the idea that I said a while ago was used (key to apply the algorythm in sorting the screen size), then I reckon this problem wouldnt appear if it was used in this way....  but I dunno I'm just a guy... that does stuff like eat and drink hot sake

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »

i see your point Emu, but surely you'd have to press the key every time the screen size changed in-game though? (which for some games i've noticed happens a surprising amount)   having to press a key to fix the zoom each time imho defeats the whole point of auto-zoom. (you might as well put it on a manual zoom and leave it)....  it'd be more of a "semi-automatic zoom" - like Formula 1 gear shifts!

i guess a toggle would work, but even then you'd only be switching it off for very minor sections of a limited number of games.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 05:22:22 PM »

Thanks guys,

please just state the game and settings for each game that doesn't work with auto zoom then I am confident it can be fixed for some of the games. I do have one update to auto zoom that didn't go into 0.62 and if I get a couple of good test cases then we should be able to improve it.

Ric, try any of my old states, as they are all ECS, you will have to compile 062 minus the
else
{
autozoom = 0
}

which is at the end of the load config code, as this stops it from using autozoom. So the states load fine.

Try ABSECD32, ChaseHQ, DUNEII

EDIT:- Stratch that, they seem to be working, try, loading PSPUAE, then set, CPU as 020, Chipset ECS, mem Fast = 2, Chip = 2 and Slow = 1, KickStart = 3.0 and then reset, it hangs and crashes PSP every time.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 05:33:53 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 03:43:22 AM »

i see your point Emu, but surely you'd have to press the key every time the screen size changed in-game though? (which for some games i've noticed happens a surprising amount)   having to press a key to fix the zoom each time imho defeats the whole point of auto-zoom. (you might as well put it on a manual zoom and leave it)....  it'd be more of a "semi-automatic zoom" - like Formula 1 gear shifts!

well, yeah, semi-automatic auto-zoom ...  basically for games that crash (!?  - screen size changing) ..   but I mean how many games change size on the screen, I mean a tv is a tv, that doesnt change size right? - but I think thats the reason why its crashing, cos in demos theres more blackspace thats never used and auto zoom just goes apesh*t?  - right?

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 12:20:37 PM »

loads of games change screen size, you just dont notice it on a TV because the TV almost acts in the same way as the manual-zoom.

the thing with the auto-zoom is that 95% of the time, it cuts off the stupid borders and stuff you would get on a TV.. (look at SWOS and its hideously un-centred, green bordered display).. and as a result looks much better than it would do on a TV, or even a monitor, since it sits the screen "flushed" in the PSP display.

even menus and gameplay of the same game dont always seemed to be aligned the same, or share the same screen sizes.

my guess re: the crashing, is that the screensize is constantly changing for certain effects etc, and then hits a value (maybe zero) that the algorhythm doesnt like, casuing the crash.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 09:46:40 PM »

Right, feel we need to clear this up, with an example of how AutoZoom works.

Below is the Original Amiga Screen as it would be on a standard 4:3 TV.

As you can see the above picture, is how the game was designed to look on the Amiga and how it is displayed on a standard TV.

Below is the Auto Zoom feature in PSPUAE. Which looks at the Amiga code to see where the actual screen content starts / stops and zooms to the actual content.

As you can see it doesnt display the borders, that are apparent in about 90% of games. Auto zoom might have a negative effect on some games, and it may also end up filling the screen with a tiny LOADING pic (as an example), but it works great.

So apart from the ECS, KickStart 3.0 problem I would say leave it as it is. I know Ric is looking at tweaking it, so its all good, ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:58:10 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

ric

• PSPUAE DEV
  • PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 04:54:22 PM »

EDIT:- Stratch that, they seem to be working, try, loading PSPUAE, then set, CPU as 020, Chipset ECS, mem Fast = 2, Chip = 2 and Slow = 1, KickStart = 3.0 and then reset, it hangs and crashes PSP every time.

On 0.62 with the above settings and Kickstart 3.0 I can reproduce it but with the most recent version with my fix the problem doesn't occur.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 05:18:11 PM »

On 0.62 with the above settings and Kickstart 3.0 I can reproduce it but with the most recent version with my fix the problem doesn't occur.

Thats great Ric, ;)
Resolute and Industrious
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022