Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The music and sound in games is still not perfect ;)  (Read 11137 times)

dex

• A600
The music and sound in games is still not perfect ;)
« on: December 21, 2006, 11:17:04 AM »

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 08:36:05 PM by dex »

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
Re: Note even ONE game is working correctly :(
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 11:54:02 AM »

you tried putting the frame skip to 2 or 3?  ...   I know your pain with turrican 2, trust me- I'm one of the people who love this game and would rather play it with sound...  this is why I play supercars 2 on the atari st emulator instead (awaits for flame)

... but you should realise that without sound the speed is pretty much 100%, and once this wierd C business has been sorted, we will expect a dramatic improvement in speed aswell as a good turrican 2 with sound ;)   ...  so far, lets just sit back, keep beta testing, and enjoy!

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:37:37 PM »

some chipset cpu settings improve sound quite grately.

i play Supercars II like that with fs 3 or 4 and with sound Emu  :P

goes a bit fast on the menus, but its up to speed in-game.

@ dex - i feel you are over-generalising. 

1) some people dont mind no sound, and as emu pointed out many thngs run brlliantly like this.

2)  there's a lot of games where you can have sound and have as little as fs 1 /2 and get 50 fps.

3) auto-frameskip (which will cause the fluctuations) is generally intended for use wth chpset cpu settings, with a manually set frameskip being preferable.

4) i have also played Turrican 2 and again, with a chipset cpu settng, sound certainly isnt one of the problems.

5) i dont like the title of this thread. if you cant get a single game to work well for you, i feel quite sorry for you.  you probably need to get better at seting up PSPUAE .... it's not some cheapo snes emulator you can just bang "roms" in and play, althought the updated savestates (with configs included) will bring it nearer to that kind of usablitly.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 12:40:17 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »

I dont like the title of this thread either

autoframe skip.... sucks (sorry guys it does!) ....  unfortunately

but dont say snes emulators are cheap!.... Theyre teh bomb!  .. as is pspuae! ....  pspuae is just more difficult for the common bobby!

HH-  ...  Supercars 2 on the ST is kinda odd...  I mean, its REALLY fast! ..  going back to the amiga for this game feels actually slow!!... SERIOUSLY! ...  I mean the graphics and sounds arent as good.. but mannn!  you should put your prejudices aside and give it a try! (gives lots of ghost effects on the psp too!)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 03:14:03 PM »

it'll be a cold day in hell before you get me on an ST emulator Emu'...  ;)

actually i can think of one reason why it might happen, but i doubt it's something i'll ever bother to do.

i'm happy with SCII on pspuae thanks, i'm bad enough at driving on it anyway, so speeding it up beyond the orignal amiga speed is not a wise move methinks!

i hear the ghosting is worse on the older PSPs. THB has had a lot of complaints about it, but most things are ok with me... only if there is a light background and/or a high level of frameskip have i ever noticed it. you can see some on my SCII , but once i'm into the game, such things arent really an issue for me.

i wouldnt say auto-frameskip just sucks tho. there's types of games where it works well... isometrics, RPGs, strategys... just not your sports games or platformers imho... still, it's a personal preference as to what works for you.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 03:31:38 PM »

As pointed out by Horace, the new version has configs with the savestate. To be honest, does it matter it the menu music of a game is to fast, aslong as the game itself is ok? If you want to listen to the menu music, setup the options to make it run nice.

I spent alot of time making the new states, to run perfect while running games (might go faster in menu`s etc). Its acceptable, in my opinion. We know what you are on about, and its being worked on, think you would be more cheesed off, if PSPUAE sat there for a year with no updates at all.

Please be paitent, fedup of saying this, but we are buzzing with ideas and how to get better speed and sound. We are also in contact with each other, to discuss new things and how to improve it. Dont forget, WinUAE took a very long time to reach where it is now.

When the new State DB goes online, please try some of them, as they are setup for optimal gameplay, not menu music or loading screens.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

dex

• A600
Re: The music and sound in games is still not perfect ;)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 09:15:57 PM »

No problems, its just, from what I have seen it isnt easy, especially with the PSP hardware. Sound and Speed is no. 1 priority, Ric and Thinkp, have been working their butts off trying new things and implementing FAME C. The 2nd CPU (Media Engine) is being looked at to see if it can be used to off load stuff from the main CPU.

We can only go as far as the E-UAE source and the psp specific code will allow. If E-UAE wasnt updated I doubt there would have been an update to PSPUAE from 0.41. I dont think PSPUAE will be dumped again, as Ric is very dedicated. Plus now we have 4 main coders working on it, its being looked at all the time. Myself and Thinkp, spent alot of time on the last release (more so thinkp, as im limited in what i can do). Ric`s autozoom was an awesome addition, it looks (dare I say it) better than the real thing, ;). Be nice if it could be adapted to the real amiga, Id love playing my CD32 (SX1) with Full Screen, ;D.
Resolute and Industrious

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 12:28:49 AM »

Be nice if it could be adapted to the real amiga

so true! :-D

dex

• A600
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006, 08:02:49 PM »

Well, after trying Psycho Santa which you included in the nice christmas release I have to say the sound in the Titlescreen AND ingame is really distorted and out of sync and rythm. And ingame you can even hear the screams sounding very strange and distorted.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006, 08:23:25 PM »

Well, after trying Psycho Santa which you included in the nice christmas release I have to say the sound in the Titlescreen AND ingame is really distorted and out of sync and rythm. And ingame you can even hear the screams sounding very strange and distorted.

Settings please, cause, I have never had what you mention, I only have either stuttering (which is very rare with current release) and the odd game giving like a clicking noise on sound.
Never out of sync and rythm or distorted. The could be a bug in the sound, but as no one bug reports, things might get missed.
Resolute and Industrious

dex

• A600
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 11:06:56 AM »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 11:26:52 AM »

Resolute and Industrious

dex

• A600
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:20:31 AM »

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 11:05:58 AM »

lol @ horaces video  ;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022