Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Putting adf files back onto the Amiga  (Read 13974 times)

knight76

• A600
Putting adf files back onto the Amiga
« on: February 14, 2007, 10:58:02 PM »

I am seriously looking at buying an amiga 500 just to relive the glorious gaming of yesteryear in full speed/sound etc on my telly.

Can the adf files downloaded to the pc be put back onto a 3.5 disk and played on the amiga again?
Same with kickstart etc.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
Re: Putting adf files back onto the Amiga
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 11:16:58 PM »

I am seriously looking at buying an amiga 500 just to relive the glorious gaming of yesteryear in full speed/sound etc on my telly.

Can the adf files downloaded to the pc be put back onto a 3.5 disk and played on the amiga again?
Same with kickstart etc.

KickStart no, but .adf yes. You would have to connect your Miggy up to your PC and transfer that way. I dont do it that way, as I have a CD32/SX1, i transfer everything to bootable CD's and boot my HD up, insert my CD and convert the .adf's back to floppy. Find it quicker than using Parrallel cable.

The KickStart will proberly be 1.3, but i think you can upgrade it to 3.1 at a cost though.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:06:11 AM »

I recommend a HD'd A1200 with memory expansion...  you can throw the HD into the pc, download games to it, put it to the amiga... then play games from workbench.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 07:15:44 AM »

Thanks Emu Chicken, that sounds the go.

But if I find one hard to get in decent shape or end up getting an A500. How do I go about transfering to 3.5" disk? Is it as simple as formatting it in the amiga and putting it in the pc to transfer.

My logic tells me no way would this work as the pc wont be able to read the amiga format.

I reckon an amiga 1200 would set me back about $100 - 150 AUD or so. Not too bad.

Also, do the adf files just go onto the disk/HD as is? Or do they need some sort of conversion.

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 01:45:08 PM »

it is possible to put adf files to floppy, but you'll ideally need more RAM to get it working a load easier.

if you're serious about oldskool emulation, its seriously best to get an A1200 with a 2.5" laptop hard drive (any should do), then a memory expansion.  (or even better.. an ACCELERATOR with a lorra RAMMMM!!) - do this and you WILL NOT look back.

A500's are really oldskool right now, if you get one you're probably looking at a really old floppy drive thats gonna die soon. - I will give you one if you wait til the summer... I have one spare in the UK.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 02:22:35 PM »

I am definately looking at the 1200. Just for the hard drive option. Much faster load times and much more storage.

Id love an A1200 with Hard drive and memory expansion. Do the amiga HD's run off IDE?

Im watching a few ebay auctions in aus for a1200's at the moment.

*note: Just got a message back from an ebayer. The A1200 I am watching has the standard memory. Is this going to be too big an issue? How big of an impact is that going to make. In realistic terms, am I going to see the difference in frame rate of games from the A500?

Cheers for the help.

oh, and can the upgrade of memory still be found for purchase?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 03:15:08 PM by knight76 »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »

I am definately looking at the 1200. Just for the hard drive option. Much faster load times and much more storage.

Id love an A1200 with Hard drive and memory expansion. Do the amiga HD's run off IDE?

Im watching a few ebay auctions in aus for a1200's at the moment.

*note: Just got a message back from an ebayer. The A1200 I am watching has the standard memory. Is this going to be too big an issue? How big of an impact is that going to make. In realistic terms, am I going to see the difference in frame rate of games from the A500?

Cheers for the help.

oh, and can the upgrade of memory still be found for purchase?

Well, if it hasnt got a HD, thats not a problem, as you can buy a HD around 4GB or what ever you want very cheaply. I only mentioned 4GB as thats the limit of the old Amiga OS, its an original Commodore A1200. You will end up with the hastle i had with my CD32 HD. Yes, they are 2.5" HD's. Like the 1's found in laptops. I bought my HD and ide cable seperately from EBAY, if you want I can find out who i got mine from, as he was really nice guy and was reliable.

As for upgrade for memory, sure you can find em on EBAY, but im not sure as I only ever seen an A1200 once, so dont know what the expansion's are. It souldnt make much difference if your just loading Floppy games and HD games, but it will be a problem if you want to use WHDLoad (awesome program, which lets you put nearly all Amiga Floppy games on HD). Even saying that, they will still run, but you might not have enough memory to use the preload option (loads the game in memory for faster access).

Last thing, the frame rate will not change at all, so dont worry about that.

I was myself looking at buying an A1200, it had a HD and was even modded to include a Laptop CDRW Writer. Wish I had taken the plunge now, :(. Aint seen another modded 1 with both HD and CDRW inside case, :(.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 05:19:10 PM by FOL »
Resolute and Industrious

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:17 PM »

I'd recommend getting any HD you can,  4gb is the standard maximum, but the actual max with SFS (I think, the better file system) is 4TB!  >:(  ... this file system is freely upgradable so dont worry about it.

The accelerator and memory is mainly for WHDLoad usage...  and this is definately a thing to look for when you get an A1200...  Imagine almost any game available to install on your hard drive... wooo!  - even them oldies like supercars etc :>

I have an Apollo 030 in my miggy, was maybe 30 quid with memory onboard (standard Edo Simms)... started at 8mb extra and I upped it to 16 :)  hoohar!

knight76

• A600
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 08:20:29 AM »

Hmm, ok.

So at www.ebay.com.au do a search for this auction, 120085760981. This is an Amiga 1200 68030/50Mhz accelerator M1230XA. I believe this is the accelerator you mention. This takes care of the memory upgrade and acceleration in one go.

ill probably get the amiga first and then the upgrade.

If I am going to the trouble of getting an A1200 for the hard drive I would be wanting to put the floppy games on the hard drive and play them. Thus getting around the very long load times.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:24:08 AM »

Thanks for the offer FOL. Are you located in Australia by chance?

If the ide cable is just a laptop ide cable if there is a difference I should be able to track one down fairly easy. The A1200 im looking at right now has a 300 MB Hard Drive. Id probably upgrade that eventualy.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 08:31:35 AM »

Just reading another auction for an A500 and this one mentions their power supply still having the drive power plugs attached in case you add a hard drive or a cd rom. The power supply being used is a PC power supply though which explains a lot.

Can a hard drive or cd rom be added to the A500? Is the CDrom a standard pc IDE job or a specific amiga cdrom.

Geez I have alot of questions eh?

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 08:35:03 AM by knight76 »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »

Just reading another auction for an A500 and this one mentions their power supply still having the drive power plugs attached in case you add a hard drive or a cd rom. The power supply being used is a PC power supply though which explains a lot.

Can a hard drive or cd rom be added to the A500? Is the CDrom a standard pc IDE job or a specific amiga cdrom.

Geez I have alot of questions eh?

Cheers

On an A500, I believe only 1 can be used at a time, my A570 (20MB HD, ;), back in the day), They didnt add the facility to attach anything to the A570. Maybe it just couldnt be done, I know you could with the PCMCIA slot on the A1200. But who wants big chuncky cdrom and hd sticking out the left side of their Miggy.

No, im in the UK (POINTS TO HIS FLAG, ;))
Resolute and Industrious

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 11:06:58 AM »

300mb hard drive is..  crap m8... if you get whdload load, you can throw almost ALL the decent games for the amiga onto a 2gb drive (I pretty much maxxed my 2gb) ...  all you need to do to upgrade the hd is to get a normal 2.5" laptop hard drive... thats it!

The apollo accelerator is pretty good, but it has a few incompatibilities- mainly with Skidmarks! >:E  ...  For maximum compatibility I'd recommend a Blizzard 030  ::)

Right now, most the amigas with hd's installed will probably be asking more than its worth...  I think it may be best just getting and installing it yourself- take a look at how much you can get for each.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 12:29:56 PM »

Sorry FOL. I read all the blurb next to your username looking for a country identifier but for the life of me didnt manage to see the flags. Apparently im from bosnia. Better change that.

Im certainly not going to be using the 300mb hard drive for long if i get it. I did say eventualy though but for me that probably means a month after I buy it. I will have to keep an eye out for an amiga without a hard drive and see how much they are going for. Problem is here in Aus there isnt alot of old Amiga's going around for sale so the prices dont fluctuate too much.

knight76

• A600
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 09:58:41 AM »

Well I missed out on the A1200 but got a good condition A500 with the 512k expansion.

Comes with RF modulator so I can hook it up to a telly. Joystick, mouse etc etc. Will have to grab a 2nd disk drive which I can get easily enough.

Should be fun.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022