Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS3 Game Reviews  (Read 2279 times)

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
PS3 Game Reviews
« on: February 27, 2010, 04:43:02 AM »

Ridge Racer 7

Idea : Next in the series of the RR franchise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NikM108w_pw

A usual game that gets released with the launch of a new PS console... Heres the new version.  This is SLICK!
If you've played the PSP or the XBOX360 version by now, this one shares simularities to those versions.  The cars feel a little better compared to the "ice skating" PSP versions.  You gain nitro power by "drifting" around corners at high speeds.
The races start slow so you can get used to the car controls, then begin to speed up as you unlock new tracks, challenges and cars.
When you race these though, the screen is a high adrenalin rush, full of lush visuals from the word GO!
You gain points by using car parts from different organizations, these points will eventually unlock new parts that you can customise to include in your car.  This can range from new nitro, engines, body parts, tires, rims and so forth.
There isn't too little or too much that you can do to your car, the customization balance seems just right.
Unlocking a car after MOST races just seems a bit intense though.  Just cos its a "slightly faster" version of the same car, I dont think it REALLY deserves a WELL DONE screen.

Whats more, you can race online and use the parts / car that you have unlocked so far in the single player mode! 
Whilst this sounds great, it can really suck due to the opposition having a far better car than yourself- There can be real geeks on here, so much as to feel like AI due to knowing "exactly" when to power their nitro so that they hit the corner at maximum speed to power up the nitro again.  I mean sure, hats off to you guys... well done... but in this case, it reminds me of another Namco release with a problem due to "juggling".
There is an arcade mode online where all parts that are unlocked are banned, so you are on a level playground.
2 Player Split screen is also available if you have two pads ;-) - but online is where the action is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA9f3RAr3Ac

Conclusion: An adrenalin rush! A great racer if you're not bothered about "realism"
Also great to multiplay with friends!
If you have a PS3, and like high-speed racing... get this!

My Rating: 9/10

Wipeout HD

Idea: Space-car racing with weapons!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjNvlmObjeY

I was a fan of Wipeout 2097 back on the PS1, that said I didnt really play it THAT much ... It was more of an excuse to listen to the great soundtrack (Chemical Brothers)... which made me go out and buy my first CD.  That said the Chemical Brothers wasnt as good as the track on the WO2097 game which kinda dissapointed .... but
...This game rocks!
Its one of them games available only through the PSN network, which gets downloaded to the HD - you play it from there.
The Single player game is split into different difficulty levels, which get faster as you progress...  This gives you a chance to learn the tracks and also controlling the ship.  Its not like these things have wheels, you need to use airbrakes and whatnot.  - Its all fun!  Unlike Ridge Racer 7, that I reviewed above, the things you get to unlock on this game only really include the tracks, and then theres a couple of extra ships.  This isnt a bad thing however, as theres a variety of vehicles, and the speeds vary on which "speed level" you choose at track selection- which applies to all the ships, including AI.
The graphics are really lush, and SMOOTH - geeze!  This is a work of art!  Its so sleek!
People who are "weak" at playing 3D games may want to get some medicine before you play this one though- you really will get sucked into the Wipeout world!

Multiplayer includes local 1v1, and internet multiplayer.  There are some GREAT drivers, but once you get really competent at the controls, and unlock that faster Icarus car, that'll give you a chance to finish in the top 3! 
Like the single player aspect of this game, its a thrill to ride!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zryen7yY9S4

Conclusion: I really miss the Elimination mode that was on the older versions of the game, and also it needs a few more options for multiplay... otherwise, a great game!

Rating: 9/10

Metal Gear Solid 4

Idea: Next MGS game...

Do you remember the time you spent infront of the PS1 nailing MGS in one or two nights cos you were borrowing your mates Playstation?  Or the sleepless nights you spent crawling through the jungles, eating snakes on MGS3? 
... This is the new one!  And it "looks" great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad3Idd7iYiY

Damn right it looks great.  I wish I'd say it played great too, but, one really big problem for this game, is the time WAITING to play as it will feel like you're just watching one giant cutscene.  Hey, dont get me wrong, I LOVE a good story!  - but when you buy a game, you expect to PLAY it!
The game doesnt really evolve as much as I'd have liked.  The action actually feels like a step-back from MGS3 - them woods felt a lot more "free" whereas 4 felt like it was just too "linear" for the time we're in right now. 

I enjoyed purchasing weapons and upgrading them, but after holding an M1, theres no real need to change.  Like MGS3, camouflage also plays a big role - even though youve got a suit that does all that automatically ^-^
For someone whos not played a MGS game before, you may be blown away by the story and graphics... otherwise...
just try 3! ... or 1!

Conclusion: 60% Cut-scene 40% Gameplay, and it looks good.  Just not a "step forward" IMO

My Rating: 7/10

Bladestorm
Idea: French / English olde style battles from Koei

From the company that brought you "Dynasty Warriors" and "Romancing the Three Kingdoms", (Koei), comes Bladestorm!  A more "RPG/ Strategy" inclined version of Dynasty Warriors.

Ok, I actually tried the demo of Bladestorm from the PS Shop first... And was impressed by the customization options  - even though I WAS reading it all in Japanese (ie not reading at all!) - so I thought it might be worth a bash....  ebaaayy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrNqHMOH6cE&feature=related

My first impressions on this game were very good,  huge intense battles, yet not as "over the top" as DW.  Pretty good atmosphere, and a lot of improvements you can do to your character.  Your character is not much of a lone soldier in this game, but hes more of a squad leader that can hope through squad types.  You can upgrade your skill through these types, ie how many soldiers you can control, or what moves youre good at. Theres also a "rock,paper,scissors" system behind the forces you can control, - the horses can take down foot soldiers easily, but the long spear guys can cause some uber damage to horses etc...  Yeah, it sounds great.

Also instead of button bashing (DW) square, you just get to hold down R1, and it will attack when your turn comes (almost similar to the newer FF games)- and you can choose special powers depending on the squad you lead.

After 20 odd hours of play, the game really slows down.  Theres still things you can upgrade, but the story gets
SOOOO SLOOOOWW!  Fighting battles just seems like a pointless thing as most are randomized, which would be good if it were an online game (star wars battlefield games etc), but ...right now Ive given up.
Every now and then a "story-advance" style battle arrives, yet that seems randomized too.  (standstill!!)

Conclusion: Good for around 10 hours, then gets too slow!  Great idea, yet executed badly... dangit!

My rating: 5/10

Dynasty Warriors 6 Empires
Idea: Dynasty Warriors 6 with Strategy elements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZkg5prS1c

I had DW4 Empires on the PS2, damn, it was kinda fun.  One of them that you wished more have come of it.
From ebay, came the newer version.... so, DW4 Empires + 2 right?

Upon loading the game, I quickly created my character... looks almost like me, and a huge f*/jjing sword. 
yeeeahh!  Nothing like the customization on the Winning eleven series, but it works I guess.
Then Empires mode, ok. bosh!

You start the game as an officer, and according to the manual, you can play the game in two ways- either as an officer, or as a leader.  Throwing myself into battle, I quickly take over a territory which I called my own. 
Already a leader... sweet, I guess.
Territories each have their own shops within them, some have a stable, an items shop, a barracks, or a mixture. 
Upon starting the game, you believe that it has a nice range of upgrades for your character, or officer.  As your character wins battles, he/she will also level up.
For a leader to win the game, he/she will need to "unite" china by taking over all the territories.
The AI DO attack other AI leaders, and also at times, you.  Maybe a bug in the game is that all AI territories seem the same.  Every AI leader levels up IDENTICALLY and also has almost-IDENTICAL stats + soldiers.  bleh!
With the extra officers, and upgrades that are available, the button mashing still is a major part of this game. 
Even for the "bosses" it is possible to bash square, then roll over, bash it again.  Weak soldiers are all over the place and FYI a waste of processor and memory power- as they die after one slash of the sword- then again the experienced players would just rather go after the lieutenants, or "stronger" units as they are worth 20 of these smaller butt-cracks.  ... oh and you can get a speed upgrade to run around 4x faster than horses... WTF?

Graphics... hmmnm... Why is it that when I run around, objects turn from low detail to high detail, really late... and when close they DISSAPEAR!?  Coming from the highest specced current generation console thing?!?  If anything this is just a higher resolution version of 4?  maybe?  Probably the same engine.

Conclusion: Similar to Bladestorm, this game starts with a lot of promise, and delivers something sub-standard.
Unlike Bladestorm though, it feels like the target audience are ten-year olds that are happy with fighting the same button over and over and over.... boredom!

My Rating: 3/10

Grand Theft Auto IV

Idea: Drugs, sex, driving, whatever.. sandbox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUtj4dL38r4

The next generation of GTA games begins here...  And yeah, I can say its a good one!  As good as the reviews say?  Maybe...  I dunno.
It plays similar to the last set of GTA games available on the PS2.  Just with better graphics, I guess....  The controls have changed a little, the cars handly completely differently, so there is a small hurdle for veterans for the series.
Getting drunk then driving the car is GREAT in this game, feels completely believable....
Screw it, Ill just deliver some pros and cons...

+ Graphics
+ FREEDDDOOOMM! - Sandbox!
+ Online Multiplayer - good stuff!
+ Drinking + Driving!

- Frame rate suffers at times

My Rating: 9/10
Pages: [1]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022