Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: General gaming chat  (Read 20561 times)

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
General gaming chat
« on: March 20, 2008, 02:13:32 PM »

I think when it comes to it, moonstone has some of the best pixel art available in amiga gaming,- as does anything by the bitmap brothers  ;D  - that said

Xenon 2  - bitmaps
Gods - bitmaps
speedball 2 - bitmap brothers..

... moonstone...   you've got a point there horace!  - has to be chaos engine to fill the void!

...  come to think of it, I only "really" like speedball 2 and chaos engine, gods and xenon seem mediocre...    how do you guys find these games?  good / alright / bad?  -  nothing to do with the graphic, but I just kinda , fancy knowing how you feel aboot these titles  :-X
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:44:45 AM by Hungry Horace »

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
General Amiga gaming chat
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

lol, fol - we'll do a few 'specials' inc. moonstone and co.! you know it makes sense!

@ Emu

Xenon 2 is one of my fave scrolling-shooters of all time, and one of my 'highly rated' games in general and i'm not really into many shooters, so that says a lot i think!

Xenon 1 i think is mediocre, looking like it was written/designed more like an 8-bit game.

Chaos Engine i am not very fond of really, i much prefer the Alien Breed series.

Gods and Magic Pockets i find fairly similar, both in visual style and handling. I think they are fantastic games, very well excuted, good looking, great sound, nice gameplay.... but for some reason i've never got into them enough to play them for prolonged periods.

Speedball 2 - awesome game.... little needs saying here!
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »

Leave it as it is Fol... it already looks wicked! :)

Maybe in a future release (after this one) you could have a variation in games from various devs for the eboot though? I see where Horrace is coming from with the theme but I still think it should cover the whole spectrum of Amiga games? ...to be honest though I'm not that bothered. lol

@: Emuchicken: I'm also not a fan of Gods... and the only good thing about Xenon2 was the music. lol

Carnivac

• A600
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »

I think when it comes to it, moonstone has some of the best pixel art available in amiga gaming

I don't agree.  While the backgrounds are fairly decent, the sprites themselves look scrappy and unfinished.  Extremely sloppy work when compared to something like Lionheart or Ruff N' Tumble.

The Bitmaps stuff.  Speedball 2 and Chaos Engine are great in every aspect, not keen on the rest of their games though.  Xenon II's alright but gets old very quick and I hated Gods.

Difficult choosing a bunch of games that everyone likes, eh?  Personally I was quite happy with the Project X and Populous ones, though I think I would like one that was just Turrican II as I love that title screen music and it was pretty much the game that made me get an Amiga, and one I still play a lot, and inspires most of my own projects in some way.
Fave Amiga games include - Switchblade, Uridium 2, Superfrog, Alien Breed, Hired Guns, Chaos Engine, Silkworm, Ruff N' Tumble,Turrican II, Parasol Stars, The Settlers, Populous, Lotus 2, Cannon Fodder, No Second Prize, Trex Warrior, Project X, Battle Squadron, First Samurai, Speedball 2 and more...

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »

Uploading now, :).
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »

While the backgrounds are fairly decent, the sprites themselves look scrappy and unfinished.  Extremely sloppy work when compared to something like Lionheart or Ruff N' Tumble.

Yeah, lionheart and ruff n tumble are very good graphically... But dont forget Moonstone was made long before both of them...  it wasn't just the backgrounds of Moonstone, I liked the monsters and the way they were animated... oldschool ;-)  It a good constant style throughout

edit:
@ Horace:  did you ever try any of the Capcom games on the CPS1PSP or CPS2PSP (arcade psp) emulators? - theres some jawdropping stuff available.  Strikers / 1945 etc...  Also Gradius V is VERY good on the PS2- if you have time you should check them out!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:10:04 PM by EmuChicken »

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:03:46 AM »

Hey I love Moonstone! ...its still one of my all time fav Amiga titles! ...plus I think the gorey graphics look pretty dam good!?

did you ever try any of the Capcom games on the CPS1PSP or CPS2PSP (arcade psp) emulators? - theres some jawdropping stuff available.  Strikers / 1945 etc...  Also Gradius V is VERY good on the PS2- if you have time you should check them out!

The Capcom shooters are second to none!

Gigawing, Forgoten Worlds, Mars Matrix,1944, eco fighters, diamoo etc all run great on the PSP. :)

I'd also highly recommend R-types (compete CD version) on the PCE PSP emulator. The CD's Mp3 music, additional cut scenes etc etc make it even better than the arcade and amiga versions!

Parodius, R-type Delta, Raiden DX and Radient Silvergun are other fav shrumps of mine. :)

2D all the way!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 08:05:31 AM by baboon »

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

my prefered shooters are more like Alien Breed, Cybernoid, hell, even Plutos on two player!

i've played the likes of r-type, a number of recommended C64 and arcade shooters, and they just arent my cup of tea. As i say, its not really a genre i enjoy much.

theres some jawdropping stuff available.  Strikers / 1945 etc...  Also Gradius V is VERY good on the PS2- if you have time you should check them out!
I'd also highly recommend R-types (compete CD version) on the PCE PSP emulator. The CD's Mp3 music, additional cut scenes etc etc make it even better than the arcade and amiga versions!

it all about the gameplay, not fancy graphics or extra gubbins. This is why i can happily discover and enjoy games like Wipe-Out which will otherwise be readily dismissed by many.

i dont have time, or even the enthusiasm, to trawl other machine emulators for games i "might" like anymore. I'm just an amiga and spectrum user these days, not an emulator/retrogames freak.... whilst i might load c64, megadrive, ar arcde emu's, i already know what i want to play on them, and its still only a handful of games. sorry if that makes me a stick-in-the-mud.  :-\

Carnivac

• A600
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »

While the backgrounds are fairly decent, the sprites themselves look scrappy and unfinished.  Extremely sloppy work when compared to something like Lionheart or Ruff N' Tumble.

Yeah, lionheart and ruff n tumble are very good graphically... But dont forget Moonstone was made long before both of them...  it wasn't just the backgrounds of Moonstone, I liked the monsters and the way they were animated... oldschool ;-)  It a good constant style throughout

No I didn't forget but I just considered many other games of the time to have better looking sprite work.  Moonstone just did nothing for me at all graphically. 

The Capcom shooters are second to none!

Gigawing, Forgoten Worlds, Mars Matrix,1944, eco fighters, diamoo etc all run great on the PSP. :)

Parodius, R-type Delta, Raiden DX and Radient Silvergun are other fav shrumps of mine. :)

2D all the way!

I play Giga Wing quite a lot not just on PSP but on the PC connected to the big screen TV with the Dual X-Arcade sticks and have a friend over playing it too amongst a ton of other classic arcade games.  R-Types are usually good yeah, and I far prefer Raident Silvergun a whole lot more than the follow up Ikaruga which I just found tedious.   Gradius V on PS2 is good too yeah (I've just won an auction on ebay for a nice lil Vic Viper figurine actually) and you mention PCE CD, Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder are great shoot 'em ups on that format too.

But even on Amiga theres several shooters I still love to this day and maybe a bit more than even my arcade favorites.  Main ones being Uridium 2, Battle Squadron, Project X and Silkworm (which is superior to the arcade version). 
Fave Amiga games include - Switchblade, Uridium 2, Superfrog, Alien Breed, Hired Guns, Chaos Engine, Silkworm, Ruff N' Tumble,Turrican II, Parasol Stars, The Settlers, Populous, Lotus 2, Cannon Fodder, No Second Prize, Trex Warrior, Project X, Battle Squadron, First Samurai, Speedball 2 and more...

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:21 PM »

Hey HH, you sound like an old man saying things like that  ;D 

Horace:
I don't like to try anything but play Amiga and Spectrum games cos I'm old

see!  quoted it!

Seriously!  Gradius V is kick ASS!  not just graphically, but gameplay is kickass,...  and if you can actually play it WELL, now thats something different ;) ... 2 player is pretty cool too, if you can find that extra guy!

These are the kinda shootemups that the companies emulated to be released on the amiga... I wouldnt say they got "as" good, but pretty damn close with Project X... ...  love the ships in that game ;-)

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:37:33 PM »

jeez, great reply. real mature.  ::)

i dont feel i should have to justify my reasons for wanting to use certain machines and not others. or my preferences for one genre of game over another for that matter.

it's a little thing called freedom of choice, and a matter of individual opinion.

i'm sorry you dont see it that way Emu. You are free to like what you want however.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:49:34 PM by Hungry Horace »

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 08:15:49 AM »

People can obviously choose to play what ever they want.

I'd say your missing out on some truly classic games Horrace, but respect for loving the amiga and specy as much as you do!  ;D

I just love 2D gaming on a variety of platforms as there is so much good stuff out there. Being able to emulate most of the various classic machines and their numerous games (that I've either owned or wanted to play in the past but never got round to) is a huge passion of mine. :)

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:25:01 AM »

maybe when i've found time to complete;
 Wipe-Out, Populous, Populous 2, Powermonger, Powermonger WWI, Supremacy, Dune 2, The Settlers, Cybernoid, Cybernoid 2, Hammerfist, Rainbow Islands, Harley Davidson, Alien Breed, Alien Breed 2, Tower Assault, Xenon 2, Gods, Magic Pockets, Cadaver, Chaos Engine, The Payoff, Prince of Persia, Midnight Resistance, Pang, Datastorm, Nebulous, Exolon, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Syndicate, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder 2, Lemmings, Lemmings 2, Oh No More Lemmings, Xmas Lemmings, Troddlers, The Power, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Dalek Attack, James Pond, Robocod, James Pond 3, Turrican, Turrican 2, Apidya, Battle Master, Legend, Worlds of Legend, Cannon Fodder, Cannon Fodder 2, Wizkid, Lotus 1-3, Supercars , Supercars 2, Captive, Darkseed, Antheads, Exile, Frontier, Moonstone, Parasol Stars, Bubble Bobble, Plutos, Mouse Trap, Frost Byte, Rodland, Robocop, Sim Ant, Shadow of the Beast 2, Switchblade, Stardust, Super Stardust, UFO (enemy Unknown), X-Out , Z-Out, Archipelagos, Bards Tale 2, Battle Isle, History Line, Flip it and Magnose, Fury of the Furries, Putty, Zool, Zool 2, Hired Guns, Morph, Qwak, Rik Dangerous, Rick Dangerous 2, Stormlord, Walker, and probably a load more i cant remember right now,
without cheating, then i'll need something new to play, yeah.

other than that, these days i'm more interested in Amiga coding than playing games anyway.

delta191

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 01:03:19 PM »

And bloodwych? oh - I forgotten, i saw you finish it on U-tube, scratch one!  ;)

Nice list of to do's there Horace!

It's weird how people are different - we like different things, different things make different people tick - bit cliche but "variety is the spice of life"

bit like - gosh - isn't  that Kelly Brook gorgeous? .... Nah....Prefer a blonde myself!

Fancy a Kebab mate? Nah......more a fish and chip man myself.

Do you like my new Golf GTI ? Nah, not really mate - do you like my Citroen CV? what...that heap of *hite! you must be joking!  :o

Each man dosseth his own thing! then we get the best of everything :-*

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »

maybe when i've found time to complete;
 Wipe-Out, Populous, Populous 2, Powermonger, Powermonger WWI, Supremacy, Dune 2, The Settlers, Cybernoid, Cybernoid 2, Hammerfist, Rainbow Islands, Harley Davidson, Alien Breed, Alien Breed 2, Tower Assault, Xenon 2, Gods, Magic Pockets, Cadaver, Chaos Engine, The Payoff, Prince of Persia, Midnight Resistance, Pang, Datastorm, Nebulous, Exolon, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Syndicate, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder 2, Lemmings, Lemmings 2, Oh No More Lemmings, Xmas Lemmings, Troddlers, The Power, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Dalek Attack, James Pond, Robocod, James Pond 3, Turrican, Turrican 2, Apidya, Battle Master, Legend, Worlds of Legend, Cannon Fodder, Cannon Fodder 2, Wizkid, Lotus 1-3, Supercars , Supercars 2, Captive, Darkseed, Antheads, Exile, Frontier, Moonstone, Parasol Stars, Bubble Bobble, Plutos, Mouse Trap, Frost Byte, Rodland, Robocop, Sim Ant, Shadow of the Beast 2, Switchblade, Stardust, Super Stardust, UFO (enemy Unknown), X-Out , Z-Out, Archipelagos, Bards Tale 2, Battle Isle, History Line, Flip it and Magnose, Fury of the Furries, Putty, Zool, Zool 2, Hired Guns, Morph, Qwak, Rik Dangerous, Rick Dangerous 2, Stormlord, Walker, and probably a load more i cant remember right now,

if you've not completed any of them yet...  you've got no-chance matey... theyve been out for years  8)

Aye, tis all about choice n stuff, and big up for you loving the machines like you do...  You say you care about gameplay- as do I, thats why I'm not always going OMFG THAT LOOKS AWESOME I GOTTA GET THAT etc....  playing games as long as we've done you can see theres no REAL improvement on gameplay for new games, (especially in racers),, the only thing thats upgraded really is graphics.

and EA killed Westwood!  >:(
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022