Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: General gaming chat  (Read 20567 times)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Re: General Amiga gaming chat
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 10:15:13 PM »

well babbooon .... apart from the super star wars saga.... overly generic platform shooty pap, i'm struggling to think of other "not good" star wars games

original arcade trilogy, coverted to both speccy and amiga brilliantly

The gameboy/mastersystem/nes Star Wars /Empire games were far superior for the genre the super star wars trilogy offered.... without getting overly bogged down in standard "run though" affairs, they actually allowed for a surprising amount of scope in non-linear exploration.

x-wing / tie-fighter were amongst the  -very- few games i envied on the PC as an amiga owner in the early-mid 90's... although they retain little appeal next to the long-tern brilliance of say Frontier, they were great fun.

Dark Forces, although not living up to standards on the PSX, was as good an FPS as any at the time on the PC... only with the addition of stormtroopers... that already acts for +20 points over any of the others in my book, which i've never been interested in anyway.

Masters of Teras Kasi - although often disregarded , remains a popular PSX favourite amonst myself and my close friends.... again, i'm not really a fan of the genre (beat-em-ups) but the added fanboyism of lightsabres and quality characters, complete with questionable names / pronounciations made it well worthwhile  (Hoar vs Thok was always a favourite for cheap misinterpretation!)

The PSX phantom menace game, although lacking in visual quality, still retained a lot of appeal. perhaps it was the free-roaming nature of certains sections and the abilty to "accidently" slaughter gungans that helped!! (not to mention the overly quotable laughable dialog often akin to 'resident evil' that helped... "HEY!!!! Get out of MY houSE!!"  "what's that GAS coming out of the FLOOR??" etc etc

the whole jedi knight / mysteries of the sith saga... although only FPS's , the star wars related addons were excellent.... the force powers in particular... on top of the more obvious things such as running around Bespin with a lightsabre. This series continued on with the likes of Knights of the Old Republic... which although i never played extensively, certainly fulfiled their role within what i consider a very stale genre very well..

Star Wars: Rebellion and Star Wars: Force Commander both achieved very well the ability to adapt the universe to the RTS genre, and retain some appeal....  being able to invade with Imperial forces complete with an array of AT-ATs and AT-STs must be a plus point to anyone no? again, these had no long term appeal for me, as i'd soon find myself returning to the likes of Mega Lo Mania or Dune 2 on the Amiga, but they were as good as anything else on the PC, but with the added bonus of utilising the Star Wars universe with success.

More lately , i have only tried the Lego Star Wars and BattleFront / Rogue Squadron games on the PSP... the latter of which remains excellent fun on the multiplayer mode, breathing life into a style of game (yep, FPS again) which i would be uninterested in but for the additons that the Star Wars universe adds.

even if the success rate of Star Wars by these ratings is only 50-70%.... i would say that's pretty good going for a franchise that has been run into the ground since 1977 , and covers most of the main genres in an fairly stale and unimaginative modern gaming market.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 10:19:10 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 11:20:47 PM »

...  you forgot to mention one, that star wars strategy thing ...  real slow but was kinda interesting :> ...  uh , forgot the name though...

Amiga Return of the Jedi was a joke XD ... Converted from the arcade brilliantly.. but still sucked - the others were alright :)

I actually hated Super Star Wars, but loved the Super Return of the Jedi,  I think the 3 for hte SNES actually started out weak and got far better.

...  Never played Masters of Teras Kasi, but the Jedi Knight franchise kicked ass...  its great how you got a choice in what kinda powers you wanted to have (dark / light side) then you had a light saber.. I mean...  wooooah.... XD ...  good fun on multiplayer too.

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter also excelled in multiplayer...  it was mediocre at best on single player, then ...  when you got with your friends, each guy could play co-op in a campaign ...  they should re-do that with completely enhanced shiznit...  ...  just as a flight sim. :-)

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2008, 09:45:33 AM »

...  you forgot to mention one, that star wars strategy thing ...  real slow but was kinda interesting :> ...  uh , forgot the name though...

Star Wars: Force Commander.... i mentioned it!

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »

Here's a few SW games that are not so hot...

The Return of The jedi (arcade/amiga) - WTF were they thinking with this game?

Star Wars Chess (Sega CD) - a poor man's battle chess but with some piss poor animation and loading times.

Star Wars Arcade (from 1994) -The action never really heats up, and the gameplay is just repetitive point-and-shoot.

Dark Forces - You'd think the Star Wars atmosphere would help to make up for the murky, pixelated graphics and choppy scaling, but it doesn't - its shite.

Shadows of the Empire - poor gameplay, gfx etc.

Rebel Assault II - cheesy acting and mind-numbing gameplay.

Masters of Teras Kasi - Tekken 3 this ain't. What sounds like an intriguing concept ends up getting wasted on a game with choppy, unpolished graphics, stiff controls, and sloppy play mechanics. With all the complex moves at your disposal, it's a little disappointing when you realize you can win almost every round by just using the kick button. You are the first person I've ever spoken to Horrace that likes that game?  lol

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace (PSX) - Another lackluster movie tie-in.

I was really hoping for another SW battlefront game but this is looking very unlikely now. :(

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

Here's a few SW games that are not so hot...

The Return of The jedi (arcade/amiga) - WTF were they thinking with this game?

Star Wars Chess (Sega CD) - a poor man's battle chess but with some piss poor animation and loading times.

Star Wars Arcade (from 1994) -The action never really heats up, and the gameplay is just repetitive point-and-shoot.

Dark Forces - You'd think the Star Wars atmosphere would help to make up for the murky, pixelated graphics and choppy scaling, but it doesn't - its shite.

Shadows of the Empire - poor gameplay, gfx etc.

Rebel Assault II - cheesy acting and mind-numbing gameplay.

Masters of Teras Kasi - Tekken 3 this ain't. What sounds like an intriguing concept ends up getting wasted on a game with choppy, unpolished graphics, stiff controls, and sloppy play mechanics. With all the complex moves at your disposal, it's a little disappointing when you realize you can win almost every round by just using the kick button. You are the first person I've ever spoken to Horrace that likes that game?  lol

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace (PSX) - Another lackluster movie tie-in.

I was really hoping for another SW battlefront game but this is looking very unlikely now. :(

most of those where in my "i like" list.

oh well.  btw, i think Tekken 3 is crap, and much prefer Teras Kasi.... i dont really like beat-em-ups either.

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 11:02:37 AM »

most of those where in my "i like" list.

oh well.  btw, i think Tekken 3 is crap, and much prefer Teras Kasi.... i dont really like beat-em-ups either.

Well I guess everyone's got there own tastes.

I only mentioned Tekken 3 as a comparison because it was out at the same time on the PSX and Namco had pretty much mastered their 3D fighting engine.

Masters of Teras Kasi really was not my cup of tea... but I reckon the new Soul Calibre could fill the Star Wars 3D fighting void as they've announced that it will (bizarely) include characters from the Star Wars Universe.  ;D

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
Re: General gaming chat
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 11:34:54 PM »

it will (bizarely) include characters from the Star Wars Universe.

... you WHAT!?

- I'd have to defend Tekken 3, thats when the series just lifted off...  Tekken 1 I hated... 2 was good, then 3...  all that could really done was to polish the graphics. ... Only problem really about these games are them juggles that them geeks use - once you're knocked down they'll juggle you for ages and you die after one knockdown...  >:(   kinda ruins the will to me to go into the arcade to play this game.

PS:  HH, that wasn't the game , it had a different name...  I cant find it anywhere though!  It was around maybe the late 90s, we were playing it on p200's at the time, but it was like, you could see all the systems and you could make ships, research, send the main characters on missions, use diplomacy to get systems into your control, and blow up whole planets with the deathstar... also when battles came about (ships) you could control them in a.. .wierd...  uh, "attack that guy" fashion....    uh,  ...  you know the one?

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »

err... sorry emu.. all the familar bits still sound like Force Commander to me!!  although that was more like early 2000s anyway, and yours sounds like it had some other bits to the planetary end of things

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 10:39:47 AM »

... you WHAT!?

Check this video for cameos from Darth vader in the latest Soul Blade game that's coming out in the summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cud2qKz3FA

Very strange croos over if you ask me? lol

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 10:43:31 AM by baboon »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 11:48:43 AM »

... you WHAT!?

Check this video for cameos from Darth vader in the latest Soul Blade game that's coming out in the summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cud2qKz3FA

Very strange croos over if you ask me? lol

LOL nice, but im not a big fan of those games anymore. I prefer Tekken 1 and Streetfighter 2
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2008, 02:13:40 PM »

nah its not force commander...   damnit, I cant think of the name at all...  star wars: ...  crap.... uh, i think it was maybe the same time-ish of x-wing vs tie fighter though...

argh!

baboon

• Amiga fanatic
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
  • Moon Monkey
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2008, 02:22:28 PM »

LOL nice, but im not a big fan of those games anymore. I prefer Tekken 1 and Streetfighter 2

It's all about the Streetfighter!.. 2D all the way!

I still cane Street Fighter 2... plus its quite cool cause my brothers even got the Champion edition arcade machine pcb - as well as tmnt, xmen vs streetfighter, smash tv and the original CPS1 Strider PCB (which he paid a small fortune for lol).  ;D ...he's only got a small 1bed flat in Bristol too! lol

I'm personally looking forward to this summers Street Fighter IV and also the Super Street Fighter 2 HD remix that will be on xbla and psn soon. :)

It a shame SF2 was so poor on the Amiga though. I remember when it came out I tried kidding myself it was a good conversion (even with the lack of buttons/animation etc)... but at that time when I lived my my bro he had his incarnation of SF2 on the Snes which kind of blew away the amiga version. lol

I think I might pick up the Star Wars Soul Blade game though... its sounds intriguing anway.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022