Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: wishlist  (Read 45310 times)

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
wishlist
« on: July 25, 2006, 12:23:23 AM »

right.... my recent bug-testing an stuff on pspuae have lead me to write up a little wish-list of things which would make using it much easier... i've tried to divide it up into relevent sections, and i've tried to make it cover a lot of angles... also some of these have been mentioned, but its better i think to put all this stuff together.

of course, i dont expect to see any of this anytime soon, i just thought it might be good for future reference!

Emulation - the major, obvious, and not-gonna-happen soon things

More speed (duuuh!)
More Memory (2 meg minimum)
HDF Support
Option to "name" Savestates
Savestates to save game-control options with them
Set Sound Sample Frequency (11khz or 22khz might speed the emu a fair bit)

Controls - relating to input devices etc

Mouse Sensitivity option
Mouse "resolution" swap.... so that hi-res mouse movement happens normally, and holding a button would speed-up the mouse movement
Ability to assign Keyboard keys to the 4 d-pad directions. (up = "Q" etc)
Ability to assign Joystick functions (u/d/l/r/diagonals/fires) to the buttons
Dual jJoystick control - i.e. same joystick on d-pad AND the analogue stick... i know ppl may say they cancel each other out, but it *is* possible to work around this.... other emulators do it

Cosmetic - the real nit-picking ::)

"Quick Start" - to load a500 / other machine setups from a single button press
Options "Pages" - which would be such as:
Machine Spec (memory, chipset etc)
Emulation (sound prefs, zoom etc)
Keys / Control setting

that's enough for now.... just my crazy ideas... dont think i'm not grateful for pspuae! i just think it can always be improved :)

contentment is the enemy of invention.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:11:02 PM by Hungry Horace »
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

ParaSitius

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • Forum Mod
  • A600
  • Swish
    • ParaSitius.com
Re: wishlist
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:52:24 AM »

Nice list.

Particularly agree with the mapping Pad to buttons and vice-versa.

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 12:55:30 AM »

if you like i could add anything posted below, and i'll have a quick look at other threads to see if they could be merged in.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 01:06:52 AM »

right.... my recent bug-testing an stuff on pspuae have lead me to write up a little wish-list of things which would make using it much easier... i've tried to divide it up into relevent sections, and i've tried to make it cover a lot of angles... also some of these have been mentioned, but its better i think to put all this stuff together.

of course, i dont expect to see any of this anytime soon, i just thought it might be good for future reference!

Emulation - (the major, obvious, and not-gonna-happen soon things)

More speed (duuuh!)
    More Memory (2 meg minimum)
    HDF Support
    Option to "name" Savestates
    Savestates to save game-control options with them

Controls - relating to input devices etc

Mouse Sensitivity option
    Mouse "resolution" swap.... so that hi-res mouse movement happens normally, and holding a button would speed-up the mouse movement
    Ability to assign Keyboard keys to the 4 d-pad directions. (up = "Q" etc)
    Ability to assign Joystick functions (u/d/l/r/diagonals/fires) to the buttons
    Dual jJoystick control - i.e. same joystick on d-pad AND the analogue stick... i know ppl may say they cancel each other out, but it *is* possible to work around this.... other emulators do it

Cosmetic - the real nit-picking ::)

Options "Pages" - which would be such as:
    Machine Spec (memory, chipset etc)
    Emulation (sound prefs, zoom etc)
    Keys / Control setting

that's enough for now.... just my crazy ideas... dont think i'm not grateful for pspuae! i just think it can always be improved :)

contentment is the enemy of invention.

More memory wont happen, I had Fast 512kb andChip 1024KB and Slow 1025kb, but anything else kills it.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

ric

• PSPUAE DEV
  • PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 06:17:05 PM »

I can squeze 512 K extra memory out of PSPUAE if I remove support for floating point and only support 68000. The 0.52 source file I distributed actually includes a makefile for that called Makefile.68000. The only problem I noticed is that Xenon II wont run. Unfortunately it cant be done as an option it has to be done at compile time.

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »

FOL - that's 2.5 meg total you've just mentioned..... that's *just* about enough!

i thought the limit was 1.5 meg total before it crashed?

@ Ric - i'm sure there must be a copy of Xenon II that works with 68000 fine.... i will have a hunt around. - or am i misreading you here?

---edt
i  did some testing. and can get it to total 2 meg (shared across chip & other) but not if it is all chip ram.(seems odd to me this)

i can also get it to accept 2.5 meg total, but this crashes when an ADF is inserted.

imho i would take the extra 512k over 68020+ myself.... given that the emulator is for a500 games (even if HDF support is eventually included - the games to run with them wont need more than 68000) - but this is of course a personal preference - and i would definately want to find a copy of Xenon II that works. (HH ponders whether the whdload version would work)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:15:15 PM by Hungry Horace »

Exoskeletor

• PSPUAE Site Staff
  • PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A600
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 09:38:19 PM »

if you like i could add anything posted below, and i'll have a quick look at other threads to see if they could be merged in.

What about themes? Something like specific saved settings. a theme to make the emulator settings for a standard a500 system. a standart a600 system etc..
Live And Let Die
Amiga Will Never Die PC User

Hungry Horace

• Site Admin
  • A4000T
    • AUW
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 09:57:53 PM »

guess that would just be a "quick start" option like in winUAE.

ill put it on the list for you.... wouldnt use it myself, but others might.

ric

• PSPUAE DEV
  • PSPUAE Moderator
  • A600
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 05:39:46 PM »

@ Ric - i'm sure there must be a copy of Xenon II that works with 68000 fine.... i will have a hunt around. - or am i misreading you here?

The problem with Xenon II is puzzling me but I havent had time to really dig into it. Basically the way I free memory is by reducing the eboot size op PSPUAE. In the pure 68000 version i only use the 680x0 emulation core (cpuemu_0) and have a define that tells it to only support 68000. This core doesnt support instruction prefetch and for some reason Xenon II loads alright but whenever you have a collision with an object in the game the game exits to the main game menu.

A side comment that may interest you. The main reason WinUAE is faster that PSPUAE isn't just faster processors but also because it uses a JIT enabled 68000 core that only is supported on Intel processors. There are also other faster 68000 cores available in assembler like F.A.M.E. but that hasnt been modified/compiled for the PSP processor yet.

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:54:55 PM »

The problem with Xenon II is puzzling me but I havent had time to really dig into it. Basically the way I free memory is by reducing the eboot size op PSPUAE. In the pure 68000 version i only use the 680x0 emulation core (cpuemu_0) and have a define that tells it to only support 68000. This core doesnt support instruction prefetch and for some reason Xenon II loads alright but whenever you have a collision with an object in the game the game exits to the main game menu.

A side comment that may interest you. The main reason WinUAE is faster that PSPUAE isn't just faster processors but also because it uses a JIT enabled 68000 core that only is supported on Intel processors. There are also other faster 68000 cores available in assembler like F.A.M.E. but that hasnt been modified/compiled for the PSP processor yet.

Indeed JIT would be ideal, but im guessing with the limited memory, you couldnt setup a cache for the JIT even if you could get it to run.
Resolute and Industrious

Feark

• A600
  • HE JUST LEFT....WITH NUTS
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »

Never have any problem with key settings, but I think the keyboard should be different. Games like Larry (which you need to type text) doesnt work so well to use with the keyboard. But I think a keyboard mapping like the one that is in ScummVM to PSP could work superduper great. It could always be round the screen without cover the gaming. Would be great. 

EDIT: Here is how it looks like in the ScummVM (sorry for the bad image, but the EyeToy camera doesnt work that good;))

Which mean, maybe PSPUAE could looks like this: Browsing the keys with the analogstick, and playing with the Dpads, or maybe vice versa (if the Dpad hadnt been so bad).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 11:56:17 AM by Feark »

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2006, 05:26:42 PM »

Never have any problem with key settings, but I think the keyboard should be different. Games like Larry (which you need to type text) doesnt work so well to use with the keyboard. But I think a keyboard mapping like the one that is in ScummVM to PSP could work superduper great. It could always be round the screen without cover the gaming. Would be great. 

EDIT: Here is how it looks like in the ScummVM (sorry for the bad image, but the EyeToy camera doesnt work that good;))

Which mean, maybe PSPUAE could looks like this: Browsing the keys with the analogstick, and playing with the Dpads, or maybe vice versa (if the Dpad hadnt been so bad).

Id say, this keyboard idea, should be left on the back burner until the speed is improved. As most games use Joystick. Also, does anyone know that the triangle button, moves the keyboard? and its transparent, ;)
Resolute and Industrious

Feark

• A600
  • HE JUST LEFT....WITH NUTS
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

Yeah, sorry. Ofcourse more important things should go first, but because it is so clearly said that the speed is the thing that should be prioritize, I just wanted to post something els/different, just in case.

And, yes, the keyboard can be switched so its on the upper side screen, and can be set to transpartent, but that wouldnt help if you want to type something fast and smoothly;)

Anyway, I love this EMU, only one Im using.  :-*

Anemos

• Nothing
  • Forum Mod
  • A2000
  • =/\=
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »

a little More speed ..  but how ? we need cut a little of all ?

More Memory (2 meg ) if this working for beter speed emulation and more combatible whit AGA games?

HDF Support  = i things is to muts work and new programing?

"name" Savestates  auto-rename  like this ?
1.save state _bomb jack ...
2.save state _Beneath a Steel ...

the lowest Sound Sample Frequency (11khz or 22khz) maby its beter for emu speed?
keep memory,s as treasure

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 11:20:34 PM »

a little More speed ..  but how ? we need cut a little of all ?

More Memory (2 meg ) if this working for beter speed emulation and more combatible whit AGA games?

HDF Support  = i things is to muts work and new programing?

"name" Savestates  auto-rename  like this ?
1.save state _bomb jack ...
2.save state _Beneath a Steel ...

the lowest Sound Sample Frequency (11khz or 22khz) maby its beter for emu speed?

Id forget AGA, it aint going to happen, even if it did the emu would be to slow, HDF support would be awesome, Ric is working on it.

As for the sound, i have said this also, but after changing settings and adding new settings. I agree with ric, its not the sound quality slowing it down, but the m68K core. The sound is already set to the best setting frequency wise, it will ever be.

Named save states, nice idea, im sure that can be done, ;).
Resolute and Industrious
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022