Ultimate Amiga

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Captive  (Read 20310 times)

bwlfp

• A600
Captive
« on: July 25, 2006, 02:41:06 AM »

Don't know whether anyone has deeply looked into this game but I have been trying out Captive on the PSP, thought I would post a few pointers for anyone else who wants to try it out.
1) You need a formatted save game disk image.  When saving you need to change to this disk, then save, wait for flashing screen, change back to the Captive adf and press the right mouse button.  The Captive adf will be unusable if you save onto it.
2) Control is a challenge but there is one key step that could make it very playable.  That step is being able to move using the keypad for movement (or perhaps even better the directional buttons but that may not be possible).  To do this you change the buttons to match the keyboards keypad, for example make X be keypad number 2 to move backwards and [] to be 4 etc.  The problem is that when you do that you take several steps backwards rather than just one (unless you hit it exxxxxtremely lightly) and in all likelyhood hit a wall.  The same applies for any movement.  This is presumably to do with the variable sensitivity of the PSPs keys.  Does anyone know a way to fix this sensitivity problem??
3) If mouse movement is controlled not by the analog stick but instead by the D-pad then fighting becomes easier as you can shift directly from right to left accross the "hands" to hit the enemy more easily.
4) Switch whatever is set to be the right mouse button to be the middle mouse button.  Personally I set X to be the left mouse button and circle to be the middle mouse button, since I gave up trying to use them for movement.

Currently I have got to the end of the first base and I have to do the nerve racking placing of the explosives into the generators.  Running out of the bases will be tough with the imperfect mouse situation.  Allocating keys for movement would solve this problem and will make battles later in the game easier to win (as a lot of strafing and turning is necessary to avoid some of the enemy's crazy weaponary).
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:45:28 AM by bwlfp »

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
Re: Captive
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 11:35:16 AM »

i have similar problems playing Bloodwych.

thats how i came about my key mappng bugs and future control suggestions.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »

If this bug could be fixed it would be great ;D.  I have failed twice to get out of the first space station because it is so difficult to move the mouse around quickly.  Basically without this Captive is currently going to be unplayable beyond the first few bases :'(.  How can this be fixed? ???

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 01:13:55 AM »

Not sure if this is going to work.  Thanks to the great PSPUAE updates over the last few months Captive plays fantastic....EXCEPT that now on base 8 I have encountered a red screen of death (see image below).  I have tried various options but none have worked.  The screen occurs when the game needs to load data off the disk (e.g getting a planet probe or leaving a base).  I have never had this problem in previous bases or on the Amiga.  Any ideas what might be causing this?  Cheers

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 01:54:03 AM »

.... are you running from an adf/ adz?  maybe untoggle fast disk loading, that might help it?

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 02:53:24 AM »

Thanks, unfortunately that does not fix the problem.  I am running from an adf but I use a savestate for saving my progress because for some reason I was unable to save the game in the standard way after PSPUAE ~0.51 I think and anyway savestates turned out to be way more convienient.  It is really quite bizarre.  I've tried reinstalling PSPUAE v0.61 (I was using 0.62 when I first encountered this screen) and that does not solve it either. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 02:58:44 AM by bwlfp »

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 08:05:03 AM »

... so when you load the save state, have a check if the disks are in the drive... config might have removed that info (maybe!?)

Also- what configuration are you using with it?  which kickstart, ram, chipset etc?

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 08:07:55 AM »

also how about the actual WHDLoad savestate on the main page?  ...  if you use this it'd speed up disk access aswell as fix bugs within the game (usually)- as its WHDLoad ;)

you may be able to load up your save game (disk) from there too

Hungry Horace

• Amorphous Blue-Blob Man
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Don't forget... Ameboid's need love too!
    • AUW
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 11:43:33 AM »

i think for the savestate to load a disk-saved game, you would need to set a custom tooltype on whdload... which the savestate does not.

i would agree to use the whd savestate though, as any savng routines etc will be patched to run in ram, and therefore wll save with the savestate, with no need for ADF.
Quote from: KillerGorilla
because winuae is made of code and your amiga is made of stuff

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 10:23:24 PM »

... so when you load the save state, have a check if the disks are in the drive... config might have removed that info (maybe!?)

Also- what configuration are you using with it?  which kickstart, ram, chipset etc?
Just checked and the disk is in the drive.  Here is my config, have also tried various variations on this.  Merry Christmas.
cpu 68020
cpu speed max
BCE off
IB on
Collision playfields
chipset eps
sound emulation normal
stereo 4 ch
interpol none
fastmem 0kb
chipmen 512
bogmem 512
Kickstart 3.0
Floppy turbo
dfo 3.5 DD

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »

also how about the actual WHDLoad savestate on the main page?  ...  if you use this it'd speed up disk access aswell as fix bugs within the game (usually)- as its WHDLoad ;)

you may be able to load up your save game (disk) from there too
Interesting, I probably should have done this.  The problem now is that because I was unable to save to my save game disk, all I have are the savestates, so I think I would have to start the game from scratch (or at least the last time I saved to my savegame disk) if I started using WHDLoad, although I really don't know enough about it.   

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »

Just checked and the disk is in the drive.  Here is my config, have also tried various variations on this.  Merry Christmas.
cpu 68020
cpu speed max
BCE off
IB on
Collision playfields
chipset eps
sound emulation normal
stereo 4 ch
interpol none
fastmem 0kb
chipmen 512
bogmem 512
Kickstart 3.0
Floppy turbo
dfo 3.5 DD

It could be the way PSPUAE used to savestate, have you tried the savestate on the right side of site?
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

EmuChicken

• PSPUAE Beta Tester
  • A500
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2006, 10:44:42 PM »

isnt captive frigging old?

try an A500 config!

cup speed- real
chipset OCS
kickstart 1.3
floppy normal speed

I also forgot what the bce and ib were but try em both on ;)

FOL

• PSPUAE Dev Team
  • Site Admin
  • A4000T
  • Amigakit.com Technical
    • PSPUAE
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2006, 10:52:36 PM »

isnt captive frigging old?

try an A500 config!

cup speed- real
chipset OCS
kickstart 1.3
floppy normal speed

I also forgot what the bce and ib were but try em both on ;)

Indeed it is an old game, Immediate Blits and Blitter Cycle Exact, cant be used at same time, Immediate Blits, usualy works with everything.
Resolute and Industrious
Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire

bwlfp

• A600
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2006, 10:59:46 PM »

cpu 68020
cpu speed max
BCE off
IB on
Collision playfields
chipset eps
sound emulation normal
stereo 4 ch
interpol none
fastmem 0kb
chipmen 512
bogmem 512
Kickstart 3.0
Floppy turbo
dfo 3.5 DD

It could be the way PSPUAE used to savestate, have you tried the savestate on the right side of site?
Well I thought this would load up OK but though it starts to load the introductory sequence (the music) once I press the left mouse button to end the introduction it still produces the red screen of death.  Now I am really confused.  The one thing I did to my PSP before I started getting this problem was I installed the C64 emulator PSPVICE.  I can't see how that would effect anything.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

TinyPortal 2.2.2 © 2005-2022